Date: Wed, 29 April 2020 – 10:30 – 17:45
Venue: Attenborough Arts Centre, Leicester
Let’s get beyond the basics of access & inclusion.
Let’s talk about true representation. Let’s tell important stories. Let’s make our TYA programming relevant. Let’s make theatre that resonates.
A Different Way is a project led by Daryl Beeton Productions, with core partners Half Moon Theatre, Spark Arts for Children, New Wolsey Theatre and Mimbre with supporting partners Graeae Theatre Company, Attenborough Arts Centre and TYA UK, to support the growth of inclusive theatre for young audiences.
‘Nothing About Us Without Us’
Running a venue, or festival, is challenging work. Getting bums on seats while balancing risk & reward is not easy. So what if we told you there was a way to bring in new audiences, attract new talent and support work which breaks new ground? And that we can help you do it?
A Different Way Symposium is our upcoming one-day event where you can:
- Find answers and plot your next steps to being a better ally for access and supporting Disabled-led theatre for young audiences.
- Be part of sessions led by experts in creative accessibility from across the TYA sector, looking at commissioning, marketing, education & more
- See 3 work-in-progress shows demonstrating inclusive commissioning in action.
We’re also really excited that we’ll be giving our attendees the first look at the THREE new shows we’ve got in development! This is your first chance to see these new work-in-progress performances that have been devised with Disabled and non-Disabled young people – and looking really fresh and exciting as a result!
Each show is aimed for a different age range, with a different creative team and different approaches. We don’t want to give too much away yet, but here is a sneak peak at least:
- An Unseen World – How do you know a barrier is there if you can’t see it?
- Look Mum, No Hands! – It’s all about that moment of independence.
- “Special” – How do we navigate the use of language in today’s changing society?
So come along for a fresh take on access and inclusion in Theatre for Young Audiences. Be part of moving TYA forward. Join us to conspire, collaborate and make a change!
Full programme to be announced soon.
Tickets available via https://adiffway.eventbrite.co.uk/
There are limited places remaining now, so book soon.
“I’ve worked in Theatre for Young Audiences for a few years now (insert joke about how old I am here) and it is apparent to me that representation of Disabled people is an issue. There just aren’t that many Disabled people involved with the writing, production and touring of quality new theatre for young people. Let’s change that.”
Join us and find #ADiffWayToThink